A place for my knitting ramblings ...

10.15.2005

Wagon rides, apples, cider & donuts ...

Today was a beautiful fall day in Southeastern Michigan. A perfect day for the apple orchard. Todd, Krissy, Goldie, Pat & I drove out to South Lyon to Erwin Orchards. It was a lot of fun.

Goldie, Todd & Krissy on the wagon ride


I think the guys were kind of skeptical, but we all enjoyed it. We picked Empire, Golden Delicious, Ida Red and Red Delicious apples. Yum! I think Empire was my favorite and it was my 1st time having them.

Pat & me in the Empire orchard

When I read other people's blogs after they have visited an orchard or a farmer's market, they make something really awesome and yummy sounding. I am just not that motivated, so I will be eating my apples the boring way. (See Pat above) We also bought some DELICIOUS cider and donuts. The donuts I loved were apple spice covered in cinnamon & sugar, but we also got some pumpkin glazed donuts which were quite good, too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Oh man! So far I have not run into those wonderful fall donuts yet. I better hurry up!

You can easily make a little pot of applesauce that you don't have to preserve if you want. Just cut up about two apples per person (peeled or not), put them in a pot with maybe 1/2 to 1 cup of water, and cook them over low-medium heat stirring a lot until they mush up. You can leave them chunky, or mash them completely.

Then, add some cinnamon if you want, and serve it as is, warm in a bowl, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some half-and-half. Oh that is soooo good! And easy too.

October 16, 2005 10:28 AM

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh I'm jealous! We hit Spicer's Orchard in Fenton and they didn't have any more U-pick on Monday :( We got plenty of apples and cider though. I eat my apples plain, but dh is planning on baking a few pies. I'm not much of a baker so he knows that if he doesn't bake them, he won't get them! LOL

October 16, 2005 11:07 AM

 
Blogger Miss Julie said...

How lucky that you got out there and enjoyed the beautiful day yesterday. It was perfect, wasn't it? I haven't made it to an orchard yet this fall, so I'll just live vicariously through your experience. Thanks for sharing.

October 16, 2005 11:39 AM

 
Blogger Mayarn said...

Some friends went apple picking last weekend and I couldn't go. Seeing how much fun you had makes me even more bummed that i couldn't go. :-(

Goldie looks so big! Last time I saw her she could barely sit up! sigh...

October 16, 2005 5:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home