A place for my knitting ramblings ...

4.07.2006

A book meme

It is a cloudy, lazy Friday morning. This seemed like a fun thing to do ...

1) Total number of books in your house: I have no idea how many books are in the house. Hundreds? Some are on bookshelves, but some are in boxes because there is just not enough room for them all. Lots of fiction, books about Detroit and travel books! I will say that since becoming a Librarian my book buying has dropped off significantly. Now I just check books out. :)

2) The last book you bought was: The last book that I bought was a gift for my brother called 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

3) What was the last book you read before reading this? I just finished reading 1000 White Women: the Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus. Book club is meeting tonight to discuss! I don't usually gravitate to historical fiction, so it was good to step outside my norm. I get to pick the next book & I think I am going to choose Middlesex.

4) Write down 5 books you often read or that mean a lot to you. Wow ... this is a tough one, but here goes:

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (1951): I was never assigned to read this book in a high school class (I am not sure how I avoided it). I read it during the summer between high school and college and I loved it. I remember being amazed that there was a "classic" that I could actually relate to. Why did I have to read Oedipus Rex instead?

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (1999): A coming-of-age tale, similar to The Catcher in the Rye, but a late 90s version. I think this book accurately captures the emotions and craziness of being a freshmen in high school. This is great YA fiction!

My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki (1998): I bought this book at a Borders Outlet store. I had never heard of it, but the title caught my eye. Looked at it for a few minutes and decided to buy it. I absolutely love this book. It is such a good feeling to read a book and fall in love with it, especially when you don't know a thing about it. I need to read this book again. I kind of want to choose it for a book club book, but I am apprehensive because if people don't like it it will piss me off. Ha!

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (1995): Top 5 lists, mix tapes, record stores, organizing your music collection. Love it! Reminds me of my friends & boyfriends in high school and college. The movie is no where near as good as the book.

Stitch 'N Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook by Debbie Stoller(2000): An awesome kntting reference book. I always refer to it myself and suggest it to newbie knitters!

5) Who are you going to pass the stick to and why? I love to hear what other people are reading. So, let me know if you do this meme. : )

2 Comments:

Anonymous anne said...

Hope you enjoy Middlesex - I did. My book club just finished Never Let Me Go and is starting Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close; I recommend both of them for next time you're looking for something new!

April 07, 2006 12:20 PM

 
Blogger Mayarn said...

Middlesex is one of my favorite books. I know people who felt the opposite, but I think you will like it - even though I'm biased.

And I agree, High Fidelity was better as a book than as a movie. ;-)

April 08, 2006 12:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home