A place for my knitting ramblings ...

10.27.2006

A fun, fall FO

In elementary school, my friend Betsy and I were occasionally allowed to walk through the woods behind my house and into another neighborhood and eventually end up at the strip mall at the end of the street. (Although I don't think we called it a strip mall ...) This was very exciting at the time! To have some independence and a little bit of money to spend. WOW! We sure did feel grown up. There was a toy store, a book store, a Perry Drugs, a fabric store and a grocery store. Perhaps we didn't have enough money to buy anything in the toy store. Perhaps I was destined to become a knitter. I don't know for sure. But what I do know was that I used my independence and pocket change to purchase one of these. I loved that thing! I made pom poms all the time for no particular reason or purpose. So, more than 20 years later ... I needed to make a pom pom for my cute hat. I no longer own said pom pom maker, but I made one outta cardboard and that worked just fine. I made the pom pom bigger than the pattern suggested, but I like it!

Daisy & I had fun chasing squirrels around the backyard and doing a photo shoot this afternoon. I present to you - my fun, fall FO!


asymmetrical cable hat more hat

Pattern: Asymmetrical Cable Hat from One Skein

Yarn: Rowan Chunky Print in Shriek (081)

Needles: US 11s (Denise circulars)

11 Comments:

Blogger stacey said...

Very very cute.

And very non-phallic....which is important in my book.

October 27, 2006 3:28 PM

 
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Cute! Love the big pom pom... and your dog is adorable.

October 27, 2006 3:32 PM

 
Blogger mayarn said...

So cute! I love the picture of you and your doggie! :-)

October 27, 2006 4:26 PM

 
Blogger Miss McDermid said...

Hat and dog are cute!

October 27, 2006 5:49 PM

 
Anonymous anne said...

It looks perfect! How did the sewing-up part go?

October 27, 2006 7:14 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Too cute! The hat and Daisy! How did it work w/out the increases?

Funny about the pom pom maker...reminded me of these pom pom's w/ googly eyes and little sticky feet we used to put on top of our desks in grammar school (I'm older than you)..we were low tech in the 70's

Thx so much for your sweet comments about Tiger Lily! She is a little stronger every day..

October 28, 2006 12:17 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer said...

love love love the hat (and daisy, of course!).
oh yeah, and my condolences on the tigers loss : ( unbelievable!

October 28, 2006 3:37 PM

 
Blogger Brown Pants said...

Such sweet photos! Your post made me think of the first time I was allowed to ride my bike down to the main street and get chips with BBQ sauce with my friend and no parents! I was so proud! I had forgotten about that, thanks!

October 28, 2006 10:13 PM

 
Blogger Lolly said...

What a cute story to go along with the adorable hat (and photos!) I love it! and your dog is precious!

October 30, 2006 7:45 AM

 
Blogger Diana said...

What a lovely story. It brought back childhood memories. I, too, had a pom-pom maker. I made dozens and dozens of pom-poms but didn't know what to do with them.

Your dog is sooooo darn cute. Must be a Westie.... one of my favorite breeds.

November 04, 2006 10:32 AM

 
Blogger Momo said...

Great hat, Kristin! It looks tres cute on you, especially holding your lil pooch.

Miriam

November 05, 2006 11:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home