A place for my knitting ramblings ...

7.11.2007

More librarian talk

There was a great article in the NY Times the other day that I'd like to share: A Hipper Crowd of Shushers. The article talks about the changing face of the modern librarian. It cracks me up how the stereotypes of librarians are still so imbedded in our minds. Quiet, mousy old ladies shushing everyone. These librarians still exist, for sure. But get into a library, people. You will see hipsters and "guy-brarians" behind your reference desks. And you just might run into your local librarian at a rock show or at the bar.

Speaking of "guy-brarians" ... mine has a blog of his own. Check it out: http://www.detroitleaning.blogspot.com/

Matt & I had a wonderful time up north, visiting my folks for the 4th of July. We took a ton of photos, but haven't uploaded them as of yet. Still can't find the darn cord to hook it up. Soon - I hope to post pictures of our mini-vacay and of my knitting!

2 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

Although librarians have been stereotyped, I do love librarians that are shushers. I like a quiet library and I raised my kids to be quiet and respectful in the house of books. My mouth runs a mile a minute everywhere else.... even in church.

July 11, 2007 9:42 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

The librarians at my local library are very hip (well, most of them). I heard a depressing story on NPR a couple of weeks ago about the move towards making libraries more like Barnes & Noble stores, because the way they are laid out now is "too confusing" for a lot of people. Is this true? I don't like it. A bunch of libraries here in LA already have coffeshops inside, & while I have purchased cofee at the Beverly Hills library, part of me wants to scream and say "can people not do ANYTHING without a soy latte in their hands??"

I'm venting. i'm sorry :) You and Matt looked adorable in the last post.

July 11, 2007 11:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home