A place for my knitting ramblings ...

8.07.2007

love is a mix tape

Matt bought me a great book last week - Love is a Mix Tape : Life and Loss, One Song at a Time. I can't put it down. It is basically a love story, written by Rob Sheffield (Rolling Stone contributing editor) about his wife Renee and their shared love of music. I am a huge fan of mix tapes and I am in love with love, so this was a perfect choice for me. I have made Matt 3 mix "tapes" since we began. I do believe that my skills on "You Can't Hear it on the Radio : a Wilco Primer" persuaded him to fall in love with me.

Here's a quote from the book that made me smile:

The Radio Tape
"Back when people listened to the radio, you kept a tape handy in your boombox at all times so you could capture the hot new hits of the week. The intro would always get cut off, and the DJ would chatter over the end. You also ended up with static, commercials, and jingles, but all that noise just added to the field-recording verisimilitude. The radio tape puts you right back in the original time and place when you first heard the songs. You are there, my friend. A girl I once knew had a radio tape with "Rock Me Amadeus" five or six times on each side, she just pressed record every time she heard it." (pg. 22, 2007)

I had so many radio tapes back in the day. And I love (not past tense) "Rock Me Amadeus" ... I only wish that I had found a radio station in 1986 that played it often enough for me to record it 5 or 6 times per side! I can only dream of such things!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that book a few months ago and liked it too :) Ahhh...mix tapes. I remember and miss you.

-Stacey at toomanyscarves

August 07, 2007 10:00 PM

 
Anonymous Lisa said...

Thanks for the tip :) I just put it on hold at the library.

August 08, 2007 8:10 AM

 
Blogger Holly Bee said...

OOOOH! Sounds like a fun one! Very rocker, heehee.

I make mixes for my Ogre with songs he likes, and sneak in my songs...I'll make him a pixies fan yet, or I'll at least sneak some portastatic on him.

Can't wait to see you and Matt!!!

August 08, 2007 8:59 AM

 
Blogger trixie stix said...

We used to do this "oh, way back when" I was young(er). In fact, I still have two from high school sweethearts that I just couldn't part with. Will definately add this to my reading list. Thanks!

PS ~ Thanks for the great comment on my blog.

August 08, 2007 8:58 PM

 
Blogger Diana said...

I still have mix tapes that I made in the past. They are in a shoe box in my closet. I can't part with them yet!

August 11, 2007 11:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel and I used to record radio songs in the early 60's on a little reel to reel tape recorder and listen to 'em while racing our slot cars down in the basement on our ping pong table racetrack. One cold winter's night we caught Dad yelling, "It's snowin' like Hell!" and played it over and over again as we laughed in delight...

August 13, 2007 8:00 AM

 
Blogger Sourire11 said...

I used to love my radio mix tapes!!! That book sounds awesome...

August 14, 2007 1:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home