A place for my knitting ramblings ...

11.25.2007

Changing perceptions ...

Okay, so you may have heard a rumor about Detroit recently. Detroit was named the "most dangerous city" in a report (that the American Society of Criminology called "irresponsible.") This misuse of statistical data, which by the way isn't provided by all cities of a similar size, is damaging to the city - and frankly, I am pissed off. I feel the need to address it here, because most of you aren't from Detroit and may never find yourself in Detroit at any point in your life. And if there is anything I can do to change even one person's perception of my fair city - then I am happy.
don't forget the motor city
Admittedly, Detroit is not without its share of problems. However, Detroit is not a horrible place, it is not the most dangerous city in the US, it is not the murder capital of the world. It is the city that I love and the city where Matt & I will be married. Detroit is where my heart is. We have amazing museums, fantastic architecture, awesome local indie and garage rock music, delicious restaurants, darn good people,

santa baby
a sweet Thanksgiving Day Parade,
let yourself go!
and the newly re-opened world class art institute!

Thanks for listening to my rants (and raves).

Oh, and I have been knitting a little bit, but not much. Between Thanksgiving and wedding planning and Christmas cards and work, not much knitting is going on. Here is my slow, sloth-like progression on a cute cable-y Blizzard-y scarf. Hopefully it'll be done in time for the holidays ...
blizzard cable scarf

6 Comments:

Anonymous Mel said...

Great entry! Here's to D-town! It is a wonderful place to live...

Byt the way... can I have some help on my blizzard scarf - major screw up!

Thanks! :)

November 25, 2007 7:50 PM

 
Blogger Matt Church said...

Detroit IS changing for the better. It's exciting to experience the transformation. Looking forward to showing off the city during our wedding!

November 26, 2007 9:09 AM

 
Blogger Sourire11 said...

I feel exactly the same way about Cleveland as you do about Detroit. I'm sick of people who don't know anything about it and who have probably never even been here putting it down. Cleveland has one of the top Art Museums in the country, the top Orchestra in the country, and 2 (possibly 3) major league teams that went to the playoffs this year. Not to mention that rust belt cities are affordable and managable. And the amazing resource of the Great Lakes. And so very many other things... Grrrrrrr.

November 26, 2007 11:42 AM

 
Blogger kristinknits said...

I know that Cleveland is very similar to Detroit in regard to perception issues. I am sure that if you hear "mistake on the lake" one more time - you may kill someone. When I hear "murder capital" - I go nuts. It is total bullshit. And unfortunately this perception problem exists (and thrives) within the state of Michigan, not just other places. People living in other regions of the state don't have any clue about all of the improvements and wonderful cultural things that the city has to offer. They will never get over the riots - even though they happened in the 1960's! It makes me crazy.

But for the record - I loved Cleveland when I was there. Great art museum, science museum and rock hall! Not to mention the Tribe. Cleveland & Detroit are friends!

November 26, 2007 12:15 PM

 
Blogger Diana said...

I think all large cities get a bad report card from time to time. Oh well. Every city has its own flavor and character. I love St. Louis even though it's high on the crime list too and Chicago is another one of my favorite cities.

November 26, 2007 8:51 PM

 
Blogger Nelly Knits said...

I Love Detroit Too. I too try to convince the people I know that Detroit is a great City that doesn't get the good press it deserves...but heres a little good press from the New York Times. Detroit is # 40 of Places to Go in 2008
http://www.nytimes.com/ref/travel/20071209_WHERE_GRAPHIC.html?ref=travel#

December 11, 2007 3:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home