A place for my knitting ramblings ...

2.16.2009

Evidence of Crafting

Matt bought me a sewing machine for Christmas last year. Not this past Christmas - but the one before that. I was super excited about it and 2008 should have been the year that I learned how to sew ... but I was a little busy (just a little bit). So, 2009 is my year!

I finally made the appointment for the lesson at Haberman Fabrics where he puchased the machine. It is an awesome local shop that I used to go into occassionally just to look at all of the beautiful fabric. Now I can go there with a legitimate intent to buy something beautiful. YAY! Anyhow, they taught me how to use my sewing machine! I didn't even know how to thread the machine - so this was an important step for me!

A few days later, I dug out a bag of Marimekko fabric that I have held onto for years (from my Crate & Barrel days) and I made this little bag using a pattern from Bend the Rules Sewing.

It is a super tiny bag, but I just wanted a project to work on. I like how the long handle tucks thru the short handle. I may make another bag using this pattern, but make it big enough to use for knitting or books. This one might carry a sandwich and an apple ... not much else. But I am proud of my first completed sewing project! And so happy that it was fun & easy & not a total nightmare. I CAN DO IT!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger tracyb said...

Oh, it looks so pretty! I wish I could see it up close. You must have mad sewing skillz (the z is important!) Oh, and by the way? Valentimes? Really? Don't we learn how to spell Valentine's in elementary school? Come on people!

February 16, 2009 6:09 PM

 
Blogger Anne said...

Wow, awesome job! That is really impressive, especially for your first project! Keep it up!

February 16, 2009 7:30 PM

 
Blogger Holly Bee said...

It looks great! I'm really proud of you!

Now, I've got this bag of fabric...

February 17, 2009 7:51 AM

 
Anonymous Stacey said...

Greta job for a first project! I've made that bag too...it's a bit small for anything other than a few light items, isn't it?

Did you work for Crate and Barrel?

And the other comment about Valentime's made me laugh. I HATE it when people say that.

February 17, 2009 7:47 PM

 
Blogger kristinknits said...

Thanks everyone!

Tracy & Stacey ... I should have done a Valentine's post about my hate for ValenTIMES. Why do people say that? One day when I am feeling really crabby ...

February 17, 2009 7:57 PM

 
Blogger Sarah, The New Girl said...

You made that bag a few days after learning how to use your machine? That's amazing! It's so cute!

February 18, 2009 6:04 PM

 
Anonymous Mel said...

Great job! Bag looks super cute -- I'm going to have to start collecting fabric to pass your way!

February 19, 2009 7:43 PM

 
Blogger Miri Mack said...

It's a very pretty little bag!

May 18, 2009 8:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home